In the Desert
Content including photographs are Copyright © 2015 - Present - Don & Linda Gilmore
See the map below!
This old town has been, and is being restored and kept in great condition. The road in could get nasty in wet weather. The old cemetery is worth seeing also.
Grafton Topography Map
The site was first settled in December 1859 in the desert of southern Utah. A cotton-growing project was ordered by Brigham Young. A group from Virgin led by Nathan Tenney established a new settlement they called Wheeler. Wheeler didn't last long; it was largely destroyed on the night of January 8, 1862 by a weeks-long flood of the Virgin River, part of the Great Flood of 1862. The rebuilt town, about a mile upriver, was named New Grafton, after Grafton, Massachusetts. More info, GPX track on this Ghost Town HERE
Old restored buildings and a cemetery that is easily accessible are worth seeing here.
The town grew quickly in its first few years. There were some 28 families by 1864, each farming about an acre (0.4 hectare) of land. The community also dug irrigation canals and planted orchards, some of which still exist.